Pages

Friday, May 16, 2014

Weathersfield News Week of May 5, 2014

Oh, warm weather, are you ever going to show up? My toes are cold, my lungs are crackling and my plants need some sunshine. I think my zucchini that I started in the house are going to be sprouting vegetables before I get them planted in the garden!

The last few days have been quite dreary and gray, no warm sunshine to warm the garden or my toes. While we do need rain to lower the fire hazards and keep the brush fires under control, the tree buds are anxiously awaiting the warm sun to spread their new leaves. The rain, however, isn't doing anything to dampen the soaring allergen levels.

Green Up officially started on Saturday, May 3rd. Did you get your bags and start walking the roads in your neighborhood? Not only is it a great way to make your roadside look better, you might meet a few neighbors that have been hibernating this winter!

There are still positions open in Town of Weathersfield: Ancient Roads Committee, Connecticut River Development Corporation – Representative and Alternate, Connecticut River Joint Commission, Connecticut River Joint Commission Mt Ascutney Subcommittee, Emergency Management Coordinator, Fence Viewer (Two Openings), Parks and Recreation Commission (Two Openings), River Connection Regional Partnership Representative, Southeastern Vermont Community Action, Inc. Representative, Southern Windsor County Regional Planning Commissioner, Veterans’ Memorial Committee, Weathersfield Zoning Board of Adjustment (Four Openings / Three members, one alternate).

If you are interested in any of these appointments, please contact the Town Manager, Jim Mullen, at townmgr@weathersfield.org or wthrsfld@weathersfield.org or by calling 802-674-2626, Monday through Thursday.

A wedding in the family brought my cousins from Maryland/Pennsylvania to Vermont! I had lunch last Friday with Pam & John Schnebly, my Aunt Betty, sister Janet, my mother, Bev and step-father Bernie. Then spent time Saturday and Sunday with Bobby Cobb, Patty Hoover and her son, Zachary, who had just returned from Afghanistan, serving in the Army. Even though I saw them on my vacation with Mike in January, it is always great to visit, play cards and hang out!

Picked up my niece, Abi, from the airport in Boston Friday night to help surprise her brother, Eli, who was participating in the Apple Blossom Cotillion. My sister, Cathy, and her dog, Dash, were down for the weekend, saw all my daughters :) and my sisters Sue and Janet, along with their sons, Jet and Joe!!  What a busy and eventful weekend we had!

I don't know why I turned on the news this morning. Monday morning and listening to the news is enough to send me back to bed and not want to face the rest of the week. I guess that is why I like hanging out in the barn with my animals and working in the garden. Not so sad and distressing by any means.

So, keep your toes warm and your spirits up. Sunshine is supposed to be on the way... I'm not holding my breath... having a hard time breathing, anyways. Might even start the wood stove in the kitchen just to take the chill out and, hopefully, stop coughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment