Pages

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Weathersfield News, Week of April 21, 2014

Spring, glorious spring!!! (Insert musical notes here :)

The first of the lady bugs have started whirring around the house. Easter Sunday was a beautiful, sunny, warm day!

This weekend was for family gathering.

Friday, I had breakfast with two of my sisters and their boys, my mother and step-father. Sunday, Mike and I had breakfast with one of my sisters and all her children and significant others, my cousin, her husband and 3 children, one daughters boyfriend and two of our daughters.

Then, in the afternoon, our foster/adopted daughter, her boyfriend and the 6 grandchildren came over. The grandkids - Camden, Austin, Jayda, Dominic and Sage helped Mike and I fix fences, clean the goat pen, put up a new gate and brought the goats out to their summer enclosure. The goats and kids ran around, having a great time!

Some of the grandkids then helped plant our seeds: zucchini, summer squash, tomatoes,peppers and onions in the starting trays. The starters I planted last week have popped their little leaves up and a growing like crazy! I had to plant one in a pot as it was growing so fast!

Then the grandkids 'helped' me drag the pastures on the tractor, spreading around any manure left from the horses over the winter in preparation for some grass seed.

Courtney made us all dinner and two daughters and a boyfriend showed up to share dessert! Gavin, at six months now (where has the time gone???) is adorable and starting to motor around in his scooter chair!  With only a few special people missing, it could not have been a nicer day!

However, according to the weather forecast, I don't think winter is quite done with us, yet. There are predictions for a Tuesday/Wednesday cold front and precipitation. What has it been about Tuesday/Wednesday this year???

I also received our first Fire Danger Warning of the summer. With all the snow melting and things not green yet, brush fires are a problem. There are Fire Wardens in every town. You MUST have a permit to burn! You need to not only call, but wait for an answer of "Yes" before you burn! 

In Weathersfield, the Fire Wardens for Ascutney side of Town are Chief/Fire Warden Darrin Spaulding  at 802-296-1888 or 802-263-5377 or Tom Heiser at 802-674-6664. For the Perkinsville side of Town, it is Jeff Ingalls at 802-738-9395.

The Weathersfield Food Shelf has moved to the former "World of Discovery" daycare, 7303 Route 131 (right at the intersection of 131/106) in Perkinsville. Distribution will continue as usual on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month between 4 pm and 6 pm. The next scheduled day is April 24th.

The Select Board has started discussion on the reuse of the 1879 Perkinsville School house. The search has also been started for a new Chief of Police after Chief Davies left the position to accepted a job with the U.S. Marshals Service protecting federal courthouses. They will be difficult shoes to fill. He has done a great service to the Town in the short period that he was here.

By the way, I got an answer to my question from last week. If April Showers bring May Flowers, what does April snow bring us? My sister, who lives up in the northern part of Vermont answered, "May flurries!" I told her to keep them at her house!!! If it continues to snow, I am going to blame it on her :)

No comments:

Post a Comment