Pages

Friday, September 6, 2013

Weathersfield News, Week of September 2, 2013

School is back in session, fall is only a few days away.

Last Wednesday was the second anniversary of Tropical Storm Irene... and weather de-ja-vue has us the area experiencing more flooding. When I got home very early this morning our canopy is crashed down and there was a flood warning in effect for our area. I have yet to hear of any flooding or erosion concerns in Weathersfield, but I really haven't been around much to see anything at the time of this writing.

My sister, Cathy, her son, Corey and I did a weekend trip to Maryland to visit our cousins. We celebrated a few birthdays, went to the Maryland state fair and had a picnic - complete with homemade peach ice cream - and lots of laughter. It's sobering to know that we are almost the 'older' generation.

The garden has exploded since I left. Before I went away I canned six quarts and 1 pint of homemade spaghetti sauce with vegetables, put 14 cups of zucchini and summer squash in the freezer and three gallon bags of string beans. This week I'm going to be working extra hard to get all the produce in the freezer and canned before it gets to the point where it is only pig food.

On the 15th of August we had a new arrival! Our nigerian dwarf goat, Violet, gave birth to a healthy baby girl, weighing in at only 2.75 pounds. Petunia is now two plus weeks old and is adorable! Running, kicking up her heels, making us all laugh! 

Mother Nature is trying to send us a message. I thought it was only in Vermont that pumpkins were already turning orange.. NOT. There were many places down south that alongside the road, the stands already have golden, plump pumpkins for sale. I think it is way too early. We are going to have to carve the pumpkins in September and take pictures of them to display in October.

Please take care and be on the look out for young people waiting for the bus and walking to school. It's all still new for some of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment