Pages

Friday, August 22, 2014

Why I am Running, by Mark Huntley, State Representative/Cavendish-Weathersfield

Why I am Running
When all is said and done, the real citadel of strength of any community is in the hearts and minds and desires of those who dwell there.
--Everett Dirksen
As the Vermont House Representative from Windsor District 2, I believe that the building blocks of my two years of work are in place for me to continue what I have begun. I’m happy to say that the relationships I have forged on both sides of the aisle are proving vital to my being an effective legislator.
Over that same period of time, what I’ve learned will have lasting value for my future contributions as an elected representative.
• I’ve learned that agendas don’t work. You can pound the table all you want, but you can’t demand respect—you have to earn it. There is decorum and order that are practiced in Montpelier, and one best adhere to it if you really want to get anything done or have any influence. The legislators that seem to have the hardest time do not understand this. There are rules and protocol that I found invaluable while attending rules meeting every Friday morning with Representative David Dean from Westminster.
• I am not a believer in being a career politician, although I am an honest, hard-working person who’s working for the good of the people of Vermont. I believe that I am appreciated and respected by my peers, and I support the important issues. That is why I am running for a second term. I feel that my track record speaks for itself; I don’t consider myself a rebel but I am not necessarily “party-line” either. I think independently and am willing to stand up for what matters to my communities.
• As an incumbent, I have a track record and a voting record that I am proud of. I have taken the time and energy to gather the information necessary to make informed decisions on behalf of my constituents and all Vermonters.
• It’s easy to run on promises to “change the world,” “cut taxes,” “reduce spending,” etc. The reality is, that there is still only 100 cents in a dollar and there are no easy answers when it comes to healthcare, property taxes, and spending or raising money. I am confident that given my experience and what I have learned in Montpelier, I can help move us in the right direction.
• Regarding taxes, I believe that revenues generated by taxes are important to the government - until we have fully recovered from the recession. Government is one of the three legs of our economy (producers and consumers being the other two) that has the ability to make investments to produce jobs, and jobs are the way out for individuals and for our economy. Some people want government to play a minor role, saying that state spending is the challenge. Others say government may be the only remaining body where spending and investment can happen when the producers won’t and consumers can’t.
• I was on local school boards for 10 years and I found that the boards I worked on did good work and always put the well-being of children first. During my last two years on the Green Mountain High School board (FY11 to FY13), we achieved a total budget decrease of -$120,449, while the budget for FY13-FY15 increased +$527,079. There are supervisory unions and school boards in our state that are doing a great job, and are being held out as models for others. I hope the continued dialogue with the education community and the public input continues. When you take away all the control of a local board, the effect is not automatically positive. Mandated change is hard, and no one likes to be forced to do anything. As one of my constituents said, “Having the ability to control budgets and spending locally is the Vermont way.” I voted against the school governance/consolidation bill.
• We are fighting an epic opiate/heroin “war” in this state, and you’d better believe that it affects everything: jobs, the economy, healthcare, etc. We have addressed this and will continue to fight it head on.
• We’ve passed a cell phone ban that, over time, will undoubtedly save lives.
• Our state’s largest employer is getting out of manufacturing everywhere, including New York. It’s tough to blame the job losses in Vermont on anything we did or didn't do—it’s a global situation. We need to continue the work of keeping the door open to new businesses and the opportunities and entrepreneurial spirit alive with tax incentives and state support for the strength of our Vermont brand.
• We have stumbled terribly with our healthcare rollout. However, we should not throw the $71-million-dollar baby out with the bathwater. We need a healthcare financing system that saves money, increases the depth and quality of services and promotes prevention, along with soliciting public input to obtain a healthier state at a lower cost.
• I strongly supported and continue to support GMO labeling.
• Most Vermonters support gas tax increases, but, as they now see, they have made little difference to the bottom line. We need to continue to support repairs and upgrades to our bridges and roads, because it is the infrastructure of our state that we all rely on, regardless of how we feel about how it is funded. We have no toll system or other revenue sources.
• Our state budget increased by 4.1 percent, and when we are looking at 3 percent inflation, this is not out-of-line. The increase in statewide property tax rates was largely the result of local spending decisions. Importantly, homeowners who pay by income (anyone with a household income under $90,000 which), were paying substantially less - 70 percent of them are paying based on income, under the Common Level of Appraisal. Addressing property tax tied to education funding and an equitable, income-based solution is a high priority
• Lots of jobs were created in the past two years, specifically in solar and renewable energy, and the groundwork through our new economic development plan (put forth by a republican and a democrat) should offer many new opportunities. We need proven leadership to achieve prosperity, equality and better times to come for all Vermonters. It takes intestinal fortitude to stay the course and be on the frontlines. Lets continue to move the ball down the field…together
I look forward to campaigning; it’s always an interesting experience. I get to meet all the people I represent and make note of their concerns. It truly is an honor to serve the citizens of Cavendish and Weathersfield, and all the people of our great state. Thank you for allowing me to represent you, and I would appreciate your support in November.
See you all on the campaign trail!

No comments:

Post a Comment