Pages

Monday, September 14, 2015

I-91 WRJ Southbound Bridge - Closed for Replacement Sept 18-21 Weekend

 

Next weekend, September 18-21, the Southbound I-91 bridge over US Route 5 in White River Junction will be slid into place. 

 Beginning at 6 PM Friday, September 18, I-91 Southbound will be closed to traffic until the work is completed by 6 AM Monday, September 21. 

Northbound I-91 will be open throughout next weekend.

All next week the contractor will be preparing for the weekend bridge slide. Traffic impacts will be significant, especially on Route 5 when work is being done overhead. Work includes:

·         Removal of the left travel lane of Southbound I-91 bridge. Contractors will remove concrete bridge deck and steel beams, pavement, subbase and existing backwall.
·         Backfilling behind Southbound bridge abutments
·         Sliding the Southbound bridge into position in advance of the weekend slide
·         Setting up cranes

Route 5 traffic impacts will be heavy Monday-Wednesday nights (9/14-9/16). Traffic will be stopped for 20 minutes or longer whenever cranes are removing concrete and girders.  

Motorists are encouraged to avoid Route 5 and take alternate routes. 

During the daytime hours next week (9AM-3PM) there will be some brief stoppage of traffic to get equipment and materials to the site and longer stoppages (up to 10 minutes) while the Southbound bridge is sliding into its pre-closure position.

Throughout the week of September 13-21 there will be one-lane travel on I-91 Northbound.

During the pre-closure week, September 13-6 PM September 18, there will be one lane travel on I-91 Southbound. At 6 PM Friday, September 18, I-91 Southbound will be closed up until 6 AM Monday, September 21.

TRAFFIC IMPACTS AND DETOURS DURING BRIDGE CLOSURE WEEKEND

·         During the day and night traffic delays on US Route 5 will be up to 20 minutes or longer. Motorists should avoid the area and seek alternate routes
·         Southbound I-91traffic will be taken off  I-91 SB by the Off Ramp and sent down Route 5 (south) to Hartland Exit 9. A uniformed traffic officer will be stationed at the traffic light and will keep the ramp traffic flowing.
·         Northbound I-91 traffic seeking to travel Route 5 south where construction is occurring may be directed to use the VA Cutoff Road or go to Exit 12 on 1-91 Northbound and turn around.
·         Route 5 traffic wanting to go under the bridge or to I-89 will also be asked to use alternate routes.
·         I-91 Southbound traffic going to I-89 will be requested to detour at Exit 12 on I-91 to Exit 1 on I-89 via Route 5 South and Route 4 westbound.

Unlike the slide of the Northbound bridge in August, no public viewing area is available for next weekend’s slide. 

 Time-lapse video of the Northbound bridge slide has been posted on the project website, www.i91wrj.vtransprojects.vermont.gov. Enjoy!

Jill

Jill Barrett
Public Outreach Coordinator
(802) 272-1248


No comments:

Post a Comment